Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Master Bedroom Part 2

Holy crap, you guys! It's been a week since I last posted. Sorry about that. It's been a busy few days. (It will always be busy, I'm realizing. Must come up with some way to get stuff done ... stuff besides the stuff with which I'm busy.)

I know you've been waiting with bated breath to see the second half of the master bedroom, so here goes:


Ta-da! The sleeping area. We are dealing with the dreaded window-behind-the-bed situation. I haven't figured out if we should do a headboard or not. Please ignore the wonky bedding. Pete made the bed that day. (Love you, honey!) The monogrammed shams were the first thing I bought after our wedding. They're from Pottery Barn, and I remember feeling absurdly swanky for buying them.
 
I don't know how to reconcile my being over "shabby chic" with how much I love this decidedly shabby chic bedding. It is, in fact, from Target's Shabby Chic line, although naturally I hunted it down on eBay for 30% lower than the store price. I wasn't about to pay triple digits for bedding.

 
Isn't the linen texture so pretty? And I love the colors, but I guess I want something more... I don't know. Sophisticated or something.

Remember that chair-as-nightstand thing I posted about in the kitchen entry? If you look closely you'll see two chairs flanking the bed in the first photo. Here's a close-up. The clamp lights are $7 from Home Depot. At some point I will get around to spray painting them antique brass or something a little softer than brand-new aluminum.
Close-up of what might be the weirdest art project ever. I had these ugly dark red "distressed" metal stars we bought 1 million years ago and displayed on the walls in our Brooklyn apartment. I used Mod Podge to adhere pieces of newsprint to them. I liked the results enough to put them up, but they're definitely not my fave.

 
That is an old bench that was in our house in Ashland when I was a kid, then spent some time at my aunt's farm, and now lives happily in our room. The throw is Cynthia Rowley and the leather journal was a gift from Pete a long time ago.
 
I keep meaning to hang these brass bird thingies but I don't have a good spot for them yet. They were $1 each (there's two, it's hard to tell) at the St. Vincent de Paul store.

And that's about it. The room still needs lots of finessing. I'm hoping to add some more mid-century modern pieces to the mix to steer it away from the direction it's in now. I would repaint, but it was such a beast the first time that I resolved not to paint it again until we could pay someone to do it. It. Was. Awful. Plus, new paint means new curtains, new curtains means new bedding, and before you know it, you've had to sell your damn house.

Oh, and if an antique/mid-century mash-up sounds super weird to you, take a look at this awesome space I saw on SF Girl by Bay. (Won't let me copy photos in, boo.) Isn't that room amazing? I know we don't live in an East Sussex farmhouse, but we do live in a Southeast Omaha brick house - it shouldn't be that hard to replicate!

So if anyone has a vintage white leather lounge chair or freaking awesome credenza, please let me know. I will pay you five American dollars for them, which I believe is the going rate.

By the way, thrifting was sort of a bust this weekend. I got a cute little brass and glass side table for $7 (I posted a photo on Instagram), a couple of paintings for the guest room for $1 each, and a brass picture frame. I could have kept shopping, but it seemed like everywhere I went there were homeless creepers and it was just making me tired. You really have to be in the right mood to be okay shopping alongside a couple of meth heads trying to load two bed-bug-ridden armchairs into their van.

On that cheerful note, have a lovely night!

xoxo,

Leigh



No comments:

Post a Comment